The Farmhouse

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My New Obsession

We are almost at the end of February.  Let's all say Amen!!  What a winter this has been.  We have all collectively had it with winter. Long days turning into even longer nights.  I have even started playing Candy Crush!  If you don't know about this game, consider yourself  lucky.  This game was devised to warp the minds of innocent, middle aged women (maybe men,too, not sure) and render them helpless and brain dead. I was warned by my friend, Kathy not to get involved, but, I chose to look the other way and now I am hooked. There is no strategy to this game nor is there any exercising of the brain.  It is just stupid colored candies dropping down and I MUST eradicate them and their stupid "jellies", whatever they are!  Can you see where I am going with this people - I need help.  So...I have decided to turn  to some creative outlets.  I spend a lot of time reading other blogs.  I read horse blogs and some dog blogs.  I admit it I read the Housewives' blogs, but my absolute favorite blogs are those of the "crafty" women.  These women create the most beautiful items for the home and garden. They are young(er), pretty and have beautiful old homes. They can paint, sand, and use tools!  I envy them.  Sure I blog, but they not only make perfect crafts and re purposed furniture, but they take great photos and give step-by-step tutorials!  I love them.  One idea that kept grabbing my attention was the use of Chalk paint.  This is not Blackboard chalk paint, this is expensive water-based paint that goes over any finish.  No stripping or sanding needed.

Perfect stuff for an impatient crafter like me. I found some locally and got to work.  I have an old Bombe chest that belonged to my mother and decided I would try out my new skills.


See, my photo skills suck!  But this is the chest with the drawers removed.  Two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk paint later and voila.


The piece is actually darker in person.  I also learned how to use the very important wax to finish and "age" the chest.  I LOVED doing this.  I first painted the chest Paris Grey.  It looked really great, but the ole Farmhouse does not lend itself to grey, so....I repainted.  This paint sticks to anything.  Please send me your old furniture , I'll work for peanuts! I cannot stop thinking of projects to do.  Speaking of projects I finished my snack tray project.  I painted (chalk paint- what else?) the top and did a graphic transfer and it worked!!


Fun stuff. 
I think my head may explode with all of these ideas floating around in it.  When it gets too overwhelming I play Candy Crush. Help!
In other news The Farmhouse is now adorned with more window treatments.


We had roman shades made for the den. They add a nice warm touch to the room.
That's all for now.  I've got furniture to paint.
Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment