The Farmhouse

Friday, July 18, 2014

It's Just Us...Again

Well - he's gone.  Packed up his car and pulled out at 6 AM sharp.  By now he's entering Colorado.  Did I cry?  Yes.  Did Cliff cry?  Yes. I've now had 2 days to get used to the quiet and I must say the silence is deafening. The house is clean, but, oh so quiet.  It's funny how you get used to being an empty nester and then they move back home and you slide right  back into being the mommy again.  Only this time they work and have lives of their own.  No carpools or sports you have to attend. I liked it!  I had a playmate, a sous chef and someone to go to Starbucks with.  So what if he left food out or the fridge opened?  Now I know it's not "healthy" , but it was 6 weeks and it was a great way to re-connect.  I haven't lived with my son for the past 7 years, so I consider this as a special time that we will probably never have again. I hope he loves his new life in California, but, I also hope it's not forever!  His room is all cleaned up and waiting!!  So, since there is never a dull moment, yesterday Bella was sick.  She vomited most of the day and seemed very queasy.  We took her to the vet last night to make sure she didn't ingest anything serious.  She seems better today, but naturally I am worried. (Must worry about something)  This is a phenomenon I have noticed with other empty nester"s - the dog-child phenomenon.  Once those real kids leave, we become obsessed with our dog children.  I have witnessed this with many of my friends and neighbors.

1- I have a friend (all names have been changed) who practically makes out with his dog.  I have told him on 
     several occasions to "get a room!" And yes - the dog sleeps with him in bed.
2- Another friend is afraid to leave her precious pooches with her husband while she travels, because she is 
     afraid they won't poop for him.
3- I call this the Downton Abbey Issue- some of the help in the neighborhood take better care of their charges
     than the owners do.  That's right - they are paid to treat the dog-child as their own. And they do.
4- Posting of Dogs on Facebook, often dressed in clothing or sports jerseys.  Yes - I do this!  Hey it's better
     than bragging about my kid!
5- Arranging play dates for our dogs. 
Thankfully, I love being with my dog and she seems to enjoy my company, too.I am not saying she is a substitute for my son, but you get the picture.
Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment